Sunday, August 10, 2008

Invitation!?

Yesterday when I went to check my mail, there was a Peace Corps envelope in it and I nearly had a heart attack. The fleeting thought that the envelope was too small to be my invitation didn't stop me from ripping it open and finding...my letter of dental clearance. Haha.

Today I came to realize that you have to have an interview with your placement officer before you will be invited. I have never heard from the placement office and don't even know if I've been assigned an officer yet. According to the future PCV Facebook group, even September Africa nominees haven't heard anything yet. I also read that certain programs like TEFL and Community Development are being suspended until PC can figure out their budget problems in the face of skyrocketing gas prices and the weakened dollar. Luckily I am an Agricultural nominee, and this is a program PC cannot sacrifice (after all, we are the ones helping to feed villages).

I was expecting to get my invitation by the end of the month. Now I'm thinking it might be well into September before I hear anything. Monday I may call the placement office and see if I've even been assigned a PO yet. They might be waiting for forms from me and I don't know it.

No comments: