Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Cool Backpack/Luggage Musings

I think that this is the backpack I'm going to get for Peace Corps. It's not too big, not too small, and I like that it has the removable daypack, which would mean that I wouldn't have to bring another small backpack, cuz it's two-in-one! I would still need to get a waist pack of some kind for long bike rides.

I read in the blogs that bush taxis will charge you more if you have a really big backpack, which turned me off from the idea of getting one of those huge backpacking packs. This pack is just a couple of inches bigger than the guidelines for carry-ons on airplanes, but I think I will try to take it as my carry-on anyway...put the main part in the overhead and take off the day pack with just stuff for the ride. Then I could still check two bags. I still have yet to decide which bags I want to bring and check.

I've heard mixed stories about luggage...some people say PC helps you with it until you get to site, so it's no big deal if you can't manage it all on your own. Others say they struggled greatly getting all their stuff from one place to another. Some say pack light, some say bring stuff and ignore the weight rule (i.e. bring the 100 lbs. allowed by the airline and forget the 80 lb. Peace Corps rule).

I'm thinking one of my checked bags will be my big, red, Samsonite (I think?) rolling duffel bag...so even if the rolling part is useless (i.e. walking thru sand), it could still get thrown over my shoulder as a duffel. Then the question is what to bring as the last bag??? Maybe I'll make it a real small one and put all the heavy stuff in it (all the liquids and toiletries you have to check anyway). Maybe two duffels and the aforementioned backpack...dude...I could fit A LOT of stuff in all that!

Also I am still SUPER stoked about the Macabi skirt. They have yet to get back to me about a PC discount (I read somewhere that since she is an RPCV she sells them to FPCVs at cost). EDIT: They left a comment on my last entry about the skirt! They do give a pro discount to PCVs, so as soon as I am invited you better believe this will be my first purchase!

No comments: