Friday, February 13, 2009

Sick Dog

Starting at about 3am this morning, Yogi is sick:


Well, actually he vomited about midnight or so but it was around three that he started whimpering nonstop. He has been whimpering all day and it’s about noon now.

He hasn’t lost interest in food and has had cow’s milk, sardines and some pita bread today, but he is in some sort of pain and I don’t know where or how to help him. I even gave him a quarter of a pill of Ibuprofen but I don’t think it helped at all.

His hind legs are weak and seem to have been getting worse as the day goes on. This morning he was hobbling around but now he can’t really walk anywhere. At this moment, he is actually asleep and quiet which gives me hope but deep down I know when he wakes up he will be whimpering again. I’m not sure if the problem is with his legs or with his stomach. His belly is pretty bloated which leads me to believe he has gas and he’s so small that a harsh gas pain could affect his ability to use his hind legs. At least, I hope it’s just gas.

It’s breaking my heart because I don’t know what to do for him and there aren’t really any veterinarians in Guinea and the ones that there are wouldn’t know how to diagnose or fix him. If he doesn’t get better I think I am just going to have to find somebody to put him down. Which will probably entail slitting his throat. I don’t even want to think about it.

I just want him to get better.

EDIT: After his nap, Yogi woke up better. He is walking around fine now and not whimpering and this afternoon I even took him down to the mystery water and gave him a bath, much to the amusement of all the women and petites down there bathing and doing laundry. Right now, about 9pm, he is sleeping under my bed. He lives to see another day.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Glad to hear everything is fine with the puppy.