Monday, February 23, 2009

Second Death in Africa

Upon my return from Ian’s site today I was dumping my old dishwater into another bucket of dirty water when suddenly a carcass appeared.

RIP Melvin:














I’m not sure why it makes me kind of sad that Melvin drowned, probably because I had named him Melvin. Just before I went to dump the water, I was by the latrine door and noticed about two evenings-worth of Melvin-poo pellets by the door (where they always are) and had the thought that my little mouse friend was doing well and wondering again where he hides all through the day. He must have drowned just this morning when I was on my way back from Ian’s site, judging by how much poo there was.

At first I just pitched him over the side of my porch with all the food scraps but looking down on him it didn’t seem right (and also seemed like it would STINK very soon) so I tried to dig a hole with a stick but that didn’t work so I opted for putting him under a rock up against the house. This still might stink, but I don’t have a daba (hoe) to bury him. Maybe I will try to find one tomorrow.

So moral of the story: if you want to kill the mouse in your house in Africa, train him to think there is food in buckets by leaving a bucket with veggies in it on the floor (turns out he WAS eating some of my food, namely, avocadoes), then take that bucket away and leave out a bucket of dirty dish water.

RIP Melvin.

No comments: