Sunday, February 8, 2009

Housing Woes

Today we came to Boke, our regional capital. When we got here, Yama said she needed to talk to me and took me into the courtyard to chat. It was about my site. My house, more specifically.

I am going to be living in the same house I stayed in for site visit. The only differences are that the old woman has moved out and the village has built me a latrine in the back yard. When I first heard this news I was very distraught. I really did not like that house and wasn't comfortable there at all. I had also mentally prepared myself to live in the OTHER house that they told me I would be living in and in that preparation didn't buy several things I should have bought in Conakry to prepare for this. Like screens.

I have moved from anger and disappointment to acceptance and am trying to think of all the ways in which I can try to improve my situation. I can use bamboo mats to replace all the ceiling tiles with water stains on them Or maybe just cover the whole ceiling in colored pagnes. I can get Sajay to come and draw outlines for murals on my walls and paint them in with brilliant colors. I can ask to have a couple more windows knocked into my walls (I really hope I can make this happen). I can get a cat to kill the carpentry rat. I can have a gate put on the entrance in the fence. I can use Neem to kill all the insects living in my house. I can buy a huge bottle of bleach to douse the whole place. I can daba (hoe) the heck out of my yard and start planting right away. I can build a star-gazing area in my backyard. I can do this.

I am SO GLAD to have my dog to help me through this. Taking care of him and having him as a companion will be very important especially in the face of what I feel is a momentous task ahead of me in making myself comfortable in my own house.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. I didn't do this because I expected it to be easy. I didn't do this because I WANTED it to be easy. I wanted it to be hard.

And it is.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's a good attitude to have. feel all the emotions & then let yourself settle into a state of mind that will let you take you on an adventure. we believe in you:-)

Lisa Rocks said...

Hi Dori!
I read all of your blog entries.
I'm super jealous you have a puppy.
I hope your housing works out for the best.

Pannida said...

False! If you were to lose a arm...well in Guinea that would mean you die (most likely).

But say your in America and you were to lose your arm, you would most likely survive! I'm pretty sure being one armed makes you 50% weaker not stronger.

Anonymous said...

OK it's been a month. GET BACK ONLINE! i love reading about your travels.
much love and hugs.
Caitlin

Gone to Guinea said...

I want a copy of this picture and all the others you have of us together...I miss you greatly and hope that I will get to come back...After my doctor here in the USA get their letters together, I have to send them off to Peace Corps Headquarters...I hope they will let me come back. I am supposed to have everything done within 45 days or I will be medically seperated...which means I could be the second person after David to leave. I hope not! I can't tell you how much I miss it and how depressed I am here. My life is totally different here, and I can just imagine how differently you will be when you get back here in USA too. Trust me when I say, your thinking changes once you get back. I wish I could have had some debriefing of some kind before I got back. I am psychologically damaged for life now. Bush Rat...what's that? They only laugh at me in disbelief here...like I'm too pretty to eat rat. I just explain to them that it's better than...well...nothing. I miss you, and all the other PCV's. I suffer without all of you! ;(
Lots of Love
Aaron