Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Moving to Site Tomorrow

Well, we left Boke for John’s site this morning and it took 6 hours to get here in a Peace Corps vehicle, which is faster than a bush taxi. We don’t even know if bush taxis take the road we were on because all we saw were trucks and land rovers and even then it was only a handful in the whole 6 hours. We are thinking we will have to go the other way to get to the regional capital, which is the route the mail run takes and probably takes 8-9 hours or so. Which is about the same to my site as my site is still another hour and a half – two hours away from here.

The PC Land Cruiser with all of my, Ian and John's junk:














I really want to see how long it takes to get to Labe. If that’s easier, I’ll take it!

After that ordeal of a journey, we sat in John’s office for a little while as they found his keys and did some paperwork. Then we made our way to the house. Poor John had to deal with the clutter of all of our junk all over the place in his living room but luckily it was only for one night.

John and Ian went to fetch water (they are hardcore, Ian came back carrying TWO buckets in his hands!) and I talked to Scott on the phone for a few minutes about his first day (he was installed today). He not only has reseau, but several carriers in his village! And gets service INSIDE HIS HOUSE…grumble grumble.

We went to John’s rice and sauce lady for dinner and had leaf sauce. She gave us free bananas for dessert which was awesome.

I don’t really have a lot of nerves about being installed tomorrow. Really I am just super excited to finally fully unpack. Also, I know my house is a bit of a fixer-upper, but I have moved on from being distraught about that to excited for the possibilities. Peace Corps is a rollercoaster of emotions.

No comments: