Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year!

Well we made it to Conakry for New Year’s Eve. Tonight there is a reggae fest at the Beach Bar and I am considering dropping 30 mil for a vrai pizza. Or maybe I’ll try to split one with someone so it’s only 15 mil each. In American money, 30 mil is only 6 bucks but here that is a lot. That is 6 egg sandwiches or 12 bean bowls or 30 good tomatoes or 60 oranges or 7 beers or 3 bottles of gin, to put things in perspective. But…it will have real cheese on it!!! OMG!!!

So…please send cheese. A mozarella variety would be awesome if such a confection can be found. Then I could make my own pizza.

Everything is going well. My mom has discovered that Americans like spaghetti so she has been making that for dinner A LOT even though I told her like a week ago that the frite is my favorite meal (and she hasn’t made it since, go fig!). I would have to say the spaghetti is probably my least favorite meal out of what she makes so I am a bit baffled that she seems so enamored with it! Maybe it’s because it is easy to make. I dunno. I hope to have a frite when I get back, it's my fave. French fries are awesome.

We are going back to Forecariah tomorrow afternoon after less than 24 hours in Conakry. I don’t think we are going to be able to go shopping or change money tomorrow, either, because it will be New Year’s Day and a lot of places will be closed. That means no shopping or money-changing until swear-in. Which means no vrai cheese from Super Bobo (the supermarket in Conakry). I guess life could be worse :).

I have not received any letters from anyone!! SEND ME LETTERS PEOPLE!! I will not be back to internet until February so letters would be great. In training they should only take about 2 weeks to get to me so GET WRITING!!

No comments: