Friday, December 5, 2008

Day Two in Guinea



This is a photograph of my "stage" (the group of trainees I arrived with). Everyone is really awesome and we all have so much in common and the same goals and aspirations and I couldn't have hoped to be placed with a better group of people.

Today was our second full day (it's 7:30 here). As I said before, yesterday I was ill and vomited several times. The only vaccination we have had so far was Yellow Fever. Today we had our medical interviews and the doctor looked at it and said he thought I might have had an allergic reaction to the vaccination, so I have an ice pack and ibuprofen and am to see him in the morning. But today I felt fine, so that's good.

Guinea is beautiful, green and surreal! Our transit house compound is right near the beach and when you go to the roof there is a beautiful view of the ocean and some islands.

Monday is an Islamic holiday called Tabaski (sheep holiday), so our "adoption" ceremony has been moved to Tuesday (when we meet our host families and move into their house). Until then I will be here at the transit house with access to internet so feel free to send emails!

They feed us a combination of Guinean food and American food. Last night we had spaghetti and salad and tonight we had french fries and salad (well, the others had some goat, too, but I abstained). Lunch is the Guinean meal and consists of rice, vegetables, sauce and some meat. I just eat around the meat. I am the only vegetarian in my stage. Today for breakfast we had hard boiled eggs, plantains and
fresh baked french bread. Breakfast is my favorite. I could definitely eat that every day!!

Tonight I am going to go to the beach bar with a bunch of the other PCTs and PCVs to have a beer and be on the beach.

Anyway, there are others waiting to use the computer so I am going to sign off, but just know I am safe and feeling good and excited to start PST (pre-service training) on Tuesday.

I love you all!

No comments: