Saturday, December 27, 2008

Cross-Cultural Adaptation

Cross-Culture story: So on my way back from Chey Vicky, Jake wanted to stop for cigarettes so I went with him and bought two of my favorite bon-bons. It is like a strawberries and cream Chupa pop. I got one for me and one for Mamadaba. I had given Mohammed a bon-bon yesterday. So I give the one to Mamadaba and had been enjoying mine all the way home. Then I tried to explain to Fatim that it was my faaaaaaaavorite bon-bon. And I held it out like, “see, the pink and white one? It’s my favorite!” And she promptly took it from my hand and stuck it in her mouth, only to hand it back to me after she’d had a sufficient taste. I thought about how in the States that would seem like Fatim was doing that because she knew I wouldn’t eat the rest of it if she did. But here, they share the same everything. They use my spoon to finish my plate when I am done just after I’ve popped it out of my mouth. It ain’t no thing.

No comments: