Sunday, June 29, 2008

Packing List

So once I was nominated, I started a packing list and have added to it whenever I thought of something else that would be useful. After finding the wiki, I have added a ton more stuff to it that I hadn't even thought about (like an outdoor mosquito net tent and a Therm-a-Rest pad).

Yesterday I remembered about Space Bags, those bags that you can suck the air out of and everything gets all crazy compact and whatnot. I was actually thinking about it because I was considering how to store all my New Kids on the Block memorabilia (I'm talking blanket, sleeping bag, sheets, hahahahahha). I knew my mom would balk at having a pretty large box just storing that, but I could put all of it in one little space bag and it would be fine.

Then I remembered that I was worrying about bringing a pillow and whatnot to Africa, and how that would take up a lot of space for such a small item. The Space Bag will be perfect! It can compact down stuff like that that is light, but bulky. I do have to remember to stick to the 80 lb. rule (1 bag of 50 lbs. or less, 1 of 30 lbs.). You are also allowed a carry-on, but I wonder if that's like carrying on in the US where you could bring a duffel bag of stuff and then a backpack with stuff just for the plane ride...hmmm...THEN I thought...that's like 4 bags I would have to lug around and reconsidered the carry-on. The other thing I thought about was that if I used the vacuum-power Space Bags, I wouldn't be able to bring the same amount of stuff back. But THEN I thought...well I would be leaving the pillow and whatnot there...what a waste to bring back a crappy pillow when you could bring back an African tablecloth?

So anyway, my list has about 150 items on it. I kid you not. And this doesn't include multiples of the same thing...like if I'm bringing 6 tubes of toothpaste (it's prescription), I'm counting that as 1 item.

Now what I have to do is go back through and divide into categories. Like, absolutely must have, would be nice to have, and can have mailed to me later. I think I will take some advice I read and prepare a couple of boxes for my mom to send to me when training is ending. Probably the flat rate one. And pack it as full as I can of the non-essential stuff, like Easy Mac, the 6-12th tubes of toothpaste and deodorant, batteries, stuff like that.

I also created a mailing guidelines sheet to give to my family that includes where to send things, how to send things, to INSURE IT!, and what would be good to send. Things like popcorn kernels, batteries, magazines and whatnot. So I don't have to bring 2 years worth of anything, more like enough for the first 5 months, just to be safe. Everyone in my family, and some family friends, have been asking about sending me packages, so I'm giving them a pretty big list of stuff to choose from when sending me care packages. And if I REALLY need something I'll get ahold of my mom and have her send it.

I'm really trying to see myself in the desert. It occurs to me that I will probably be stationed near the river, as I am an agricultural volunteer, and those are in the more southern parts of the countries. But then again, maybe not.

No comments: