Thursday, June 19, 2008

My Peace Corps Blog

Well, I have been inspired by other PCV blogs, so I decided to start my own public blog for all to see. This will be about my experience in the Peace Corps.

I decided to apply in November 2007. I didn't complete my application until April 2008. Hey man, these things take time. I attended an info session with a recruiter at Loyola Marymount University in April, where I was sorely reminded that I am no longer a college student (little tear).

I have to say....it is convenient as all get-out that I live in LA, as we have a PC Regional Office in El Segundo, which is a good 25 min. drive on a traffic-free freeway, but way better than people in non-regional office areas that don't get to nearly as many events.

In addition to my info session, I also attended Peace Corps: Then and Now with the Deputy Director, the most valuable thing I learned was that most PCVs have cell phones... I also attended the Nominee Dinner, where I met other volunteers headed to Africa. One RPCV, Holly, actually held an African dinner at her place in Santa Monica and invited all Africa nominees and fellow Africa RPCVs living in the LA area, and that was also very informative.

I also had dinner one night at a Pan-African restaurant in LA called "Ngoma" on Wilshire. It was GREAT! My friends loved it and we drank them out of their African beer.

Anyway, here I will chronicle my PC experience from my application to nomination to clearances to invitation to departure and service...I hope potential volunteers will find this useful!

No comments: