Tuesday, January 26, 2010

TERMITES!

So when I got back from BKO this last time I noticed that my PACA book (if you are a PCV, you know it well) had been munched on. I blamed this on mice. But just now, I finished The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and went to pick up The Kite Runner, and IT was munched on! Then I saw all the little white bugs crawling on the book. TERMITES!!! So I start picking up all my books and papers, which have been unceremoniously dumped in a corner. Half of them have been munched. Some to the point of actually affecting readability. So I cleared them all out and swept the area and the chickens had a field day with the feast of squirming termite bodies that landed outside my door.

One Hundred Years of Solitude might be the worst affected so I am reading that next to get the book OUT of here. I’m going to put the rest of the books in plastic bags and hope that deters the literary feast they have become.

So I’m already knowing that my two pieces of wooden furniture are not going to make it very long. But hey, if they can just make it another year, I won’t care.

But I do want them to stop eating my books.

No comments: