Friday, January 29, 2010

One Down, Who Knows How Many To Go?

So remember that time (yesterday) when I said I was expecting Magellan to kill mice and leave them on my shoes? Turns out he (she?) eats them whole.

So I was coming into my house after the sun set and I lit my lantern and all of a sudden I see Magellan shooting across the floor and catching something behind one of my suitcases. I was hoping he was fighting one of the big mice but when I saw how easily he subdued whatever it was I thought it was just another cockroach (which he has also been diligent about catching and eating – dude needs his protein). But then I looked over there, and hanging out of my little kitten’s mouth is a long tail on one side and a little mouse face from the other. It wasn’t one of the really big mice, just a small one, but he caught one!! It was still alive and squirming around so I just decided to let Magellan do his thing and went back to what I was doing. Then I heard the crunch crunch crunch and I’m like “gross” and I look back over and all that’s left is the tail, still whipping around on the ground. Which he promptly ate. The frigging mouse must have still been squirming around in his BELLY, he swallowed that thing so fast!

So. At least I know I’ve got a hunter on my hands.

Also today I wrestled the family dog. My family thought this was CRAZY and I was kind of regretting doing it because that dog is DIRTY and she wanted to play MUCH longer than I did (luckily my bath quickly followed this filthy foray). But it’s rare to see her happy with her tail wagging, so I just kept on wrestling her, sitting in my chair. That’s one thing I’ve always liked doing: wrestling dogs. Especially big ones. She is not particularly big or strong so I beat her soundly without ever getting out of my chair. But she has spirit!

I wonder how big Yogi is now. He was fun to wrestle even when he was small because he was such a squirmer. And such a happy dog. Sniff, tear – I miss that little monster.

No comments: