Friday, January 8, 2010

Cats. Fish

So Seli is making me give Leif Ericksen back. She gave me a black cat and he was immediately exploring everywhere and quite a nice cat, so I named him Magellan. Then he cried all night long. And all of the second night. I had to get out of bed at like 5am because he was clinging to the window screen, screaming. Had to get him down. Turned out there was another cat outside, which is what was driving him crazy. Another cat that looked just like him. His brother (sister?). In the interest of getting another hour of sleep, I opened the door and waited for the second cat to come inside so they would shut up. He (she?) did come inside. And they immediately shut up. I named him Leif Ericksen.

Well apparently Leif was supposed to be Seli’s cat, and when she found out they were both in my house, she asked for one back. I’m like but they’re so happy together! They’ll just scream for weeks, pining after each other! But my Bambara sucks so I couldn’t explain any of that and told her I’d give one back tomorrow. It’s going to be Leif. Because he’s more skittish. Magellan already likes to purr and sit on my lap while I read, so he stays. It makes me realize how freaking feral that last cat was. I’m not really sad he’s gone.

I think our dog might be pregnant. But I could be totally wrong. If she is, I know I am going to want a puppy. Sigh. Freaking animals!!

Not much else has been going on. I biked around with Drissa yesterday looking at potential sites for this fish farm they want to build. I’m shaking my fist at our APCD and trainer for showing this fish farming stuff to our homologues because now they want to do it and it’s a really expensive and complicated project. And they’ve got their hearts all set on it but the one problem they apparently didn’t think about with any of these potential sites is: water. Where are they going to get the water? This basically cistern is going to need to have its water changed regularly. And that’s a lot of water. Adama (trainer) is coming to my site on Monday so I’m going to discuss it with him. Like if we just dug a well next to it and set up a simple pump maybe we could do it. Have it drain into a soak pit. I don’t know. Personally I don’t think this is a good idea, but it’s the one the village came forward with and the cardinal rule of a Peace Corps project is to do whatever project the village wants to do. If you try to force a project on them, it’s probably not going to be successful. So maybe Adama can help me with this on Monday.

I finished the third Twilight book. I seriously hate Bella. What do Edward and Jacob see in her??? She’s freaking obnoxious and needy and weak and indecisive and insecure and I just want to SLAP her. I blame Stephenie Meyer (the author). Bella doesn’t have to be this awful to still have the same dynamic. I mean, I’m not even rooting for her! UGH! Luckily there is only one book left. Which I will HAVE to read since I’m all sucked into it now. Maybe the movies won’t be as bad. I don’t remember hating Bella that much in the first movie. But that could also be because I like Kristen Stewart. Hmm.

No comments: