Tuesday, August 11, 2009

One More Early Night Should Do It

Turning in early for the third night. Started to feel almost normal before I got in bed and didn’t puke at all today so I might be good as new in the morning!

Tonight had another stroke of culinary genius and made skinless potato skins with the REAL cheese my dad sent (FYI Sargento colby jack cheese sticks make it without a problem and since they’re individually wrapped there’s no rush to get through a whole block before it molds). I skinned the potatoes because Traian told us to, even if you’re boiling or frying the potato, and I usually do what Traian says since he’s the doctor. Then I cut them in half and hollowed out the middles of each half. Fried them like french fries. When they were done I put slices of cheese in the middles, put them face down in a frying pan and heated it. Heated it a bit too long because I walked away from the stove to get my camera so the cheese REALLY melted and turned almost to liquid but still tasted fabulous. Only things that would have improved it were salsa and sour cream! Might try to do it again in Conakry where I’ll have salsa and sour cream…and bigger potatoes.

Anything’s possible when you put your mind to it.

Glad I should be back to health tomorrow as I have stuff to do around the house (it’s a wreck…happens when you don’t do any tidying for three days…and have a dog) and have to finish up the beds in the pepiniere with my counterpart (who I think knew I was still sick so didn’t even ask to go today). Going to Conakry Monday for the project review Tuesday-Friday. Then back for 2-3 weeks before I have to go BACK to Conakry for the VAC meeting. But that’s ok, because I don’t think I will have time to do any of my errands during the project review week.

The only thing that REALLY stinks is finding someone to watch my dog. It’s difficult when you don’t live in the same compound with a family, your reliable dog sitter moved away (Sous Prefet), your friends are in Conakry for the vacance, and 75% of the people in your community are afraid of dogs. Can’t wait for Ousmane to come back from Conakry. I’m going to turn him into my dog sitter. I find young guys are good dog sitters because they typically aren’t very afraid of the dog and they have their own sleeping huts so he can sleep inside with them. But that won’t be until after both of these Conakry trips so still have to figure it out. Wish me luck.

No comments: