Saturday, June 6, 2009

First Trip to Haute

Well…Western Haute, anyway. I am here at Paul’s site in Western Haute Guinea (eastern Guinea, which borders Mali, Cote D’Ivoire and Liberia). We got here by taking the mail run yesterday which was a LONG drive, but a good road so not too bad. I got to see Corinna’s site which was nice even though she is moving houses.

My first impression of Haute was that it isn’t much different from the rest of Guinea. It isn’t unbearably hot, no hotter than it is at my site, really, but in it’s defense we are entering rainy season so the sun is not at the height of strength right now, as it is in April and May. However on closer inspection there were some differences I noticed: a lot more huts and a lot more flat ground. That’s not to say there aren’t mountains in the distance, there are, but there is a lot of flat land around that is not overgrown with greenery like it is in Basse Cote and Fouta.

Today I was able to see Alison (G16), Ben (G16), Sacha (G17) and Nick’s (G15) sites. All but Nick live in huts and Sacha has this awesome 360 degree mural she has been painting on the inside walls of her hut.

No comments: