Friday, September 18, 2009

Ousmane II's Getting Married

So I was not allowed to go to mosque today because I am “unclean” aka I have my period. Wasn’t allowed to pray at all, actually, just sat on the couch while Tanti Aissatu did her prayers. Then ate.

After eating we went back to the house and I had a couple bites of rice with boro-boro sauce but I was already stuffed so mostly I just sat in the circle with grandma and Aissatu Bah. Then AB told me that my friend Ousmane II had married. I freaked out. I was so pissed to not have been invited to the wedding.

Turns out it’s just that he asked the bride’s parents yesterday for her hand in marriage (how effing old-world romantic) and then apparently took off for the Boke area to discuss this with his family members (the ones that don’t live here). He was just in Boke last week. Probably asking them if it was ok to ask her to marry him (as his first wife, anyway). In fact we took a taxi back to our village together from the bigger city to the south and he didn’t say ANYTHING about his plans. Nor did he night before last when he briefly stopped by before prayer time.

Anyway, I will deal with him next time I see him. In a very American offended way. Cultural exchange. I reacted the same way when my American friend John got married without me and NOW is having his ceremony without me which to be honest depresses me very much but hey you can’t expect everyone to put their shit on hold just because you moved to Africa for two years, right?

The bride is to be Lundi (in French, it means Monday – probably the day of the week she was born). She speaks some French. I kinda know her. She is kinda a boisterous personality and I have always liked her. I dunno if she’s exactly who I would have assumed for Ousmane II, but I guess that’s because I always fancied Ousmane II to have a more Western mind (especially after spending so much time with me) and waiting for love rather than family pressure. But honestly I don’t know that people here understand the concept of love the way we Westerners do.

At any rate it’s not a twelve-year-old, nor a timid, submissive type that I don’t really know so in the end I am happy for him if this is what he wants. Could do a LOT worse than Lundi! Lundi is good times! Huzzah!

Apparently Lundi is somewhat of a tailor so I am gonna make her make me an outfit to wear to the marriage of the cloth I have bought and is just sitting around. Aissatu Bah said she is going to do the same.

I told Aissatu she had to go with me to Ousmane II’s house tomorrow to demand an explanation because if he’s gone and if Alpha Conakry is not there, there is not much French to be had. I might relax this plan. But I was pretty much on a warpath earlier. I guess being on the outside of another marriage from someone I would expect to confide in me got to me in a way.

Life isn’t THAT different here, when it comes down to it .

No comments: