Thursday, April 23, 2009

Home

I'll admit it, when I was leaving Dakar I had a little moment of panic/apprehension about going back to Guinea, worried I didn't know how to live here anymore and that it would be like starting over.

But when the plane landed, the Conakry airport seemed so familiar and the military guys standing by the entrance to customs warmly responded to my "bonsoir" with a "ca va?" and a smile. And as Le Vieux (Boke chauffer) guided the Land Cruiser out of the airport parking lot, I saw the familiar candles lighting the roadside stands of women selling fruit, gateaus and brochettes and couldn't help the smile that crossed my face when in my head I thought, "home".

And then had the familiar feeling of staring death in the face as we tried to navigate through the thoroughly insane Conakry traffic. Welcome back to Guinea. Exhale.

No comments: