Sunday, July 18, 2010

Something Funny

So here’s a little tidbit that I found giggle-worthy today that I thought I’d share.

It was after six and I was sitting out reading my second Anne Rice book (“The Vampire Lestat” – not terribly good) watching dinner be prepared. This one big white cow came wandering into the compound because this is about the time the cows come rolling home, usually chased by the teenage boy and several kids. This one had just come in ahead of the others.

So she beelines for the mortars, pots and buckets, sticking her face in each and licking with her big cow tongue (which you can actually hear, the tongue is so strong and rough). Abi (my second mom) is running around making dinner, very busy, and kept having to shooing her off, waving buckets at her, hitting her with a stick, generally making the motion of “clear off!” with her hands, in between stirring the pot, moving this pot here and that pot there, putting away the sifter, walking into the cooking hut and back out, etc… The cow would go away a few paces and then come back.

So Abi is busy doing all this stuff for dinner and the cow comes back again so she finally just throws a bucket of water she has in her hands in its face. For some reason it was the funniest thing I ever saw. The cow shut its eyes and grimaced and turned away finally. And I just started laughing and couldn’t stop. I think maybe part of why I found it so funny is because a cow can’t wipe the water out of its eyes, it just has to blink a lot. Then Abi started laughing, then the grandma who was sitting next to me started laughing. And then the rest of the cows came rolling in and they all got shut away for the night.

The end.

…I guess you had to be there.

No comments: